Privacy Notice for the More Opportunity for Skilled Trades and Occupations Tax Refund Program
The NS Department of Finance and Treasury Board, collects your personal information including all supporting documents, as part of your eligibility for the processing of your tax refund application. The collection is done pursuant to the Nova Scotia Income Tax Act, Tax Refund for Skilled Trades and Occupations Regulations and NS Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
We collect and use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To identify the applicant, create your case file, as well as to administer and deliver services to you
- To determine your eligibility for the tax refund you are requesting based on program and legal requirements
- To verify and validate any information, statements, or documents provided as part of your application submission in order to process it
- To determine and approve the correct amount of tax refund that the applicant will receive based on their situation during the taxation year
- To pay the correct amount of an approved tax refund to the correct recipient
- To communicate with you as needed
- To audit the applicant based on information provided and/or to request additional information as part of determining your eligibility and compliance with the regulations
- To generate periodic reporting based on internal program analysis and review as required by the government, thereby implementing the program in compliance with the enabling legislation or prescribed regulations/policy directives to ensure effective and efficient program administration and overall program integrity
We use and disclose your personal information for the purposes described above and to administer the tax refund program. We may only use or disclose your information for another purpose if we are authorized by law to do so.
By submitting your personal information for the purpose of your tax refund application or making any other request to us (by contacting us via any of our official channels), you acknowledge that the information provided to us is correct and accurate, and you understand that any personal information you provide to us will be collected, used, and disclosed for the purpose of processing your application or any other inquiry or request.
To read more about how government respects your privacy when interacting with us review our full privacy statement (opens in a new tab). If you have any questions about how the Department of Finance and Treasury Board handles your personal information, or if you want to request access to or correct your information, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.